Sunday, August 7, 2016

"Beyond" where Trek has Boldly Gone Before

So I don't really know what Starbase MY did for the Beyond opening coz in a fit of righteous (misdirected?) rage I had quit the group after a series of homophobic comments when John Cho revealed that Sulu was openly gay before the premiere.

Who'd want to attend an opening with a bunch of Trekkies who had a 80% chance (of at least some of them) going "Ewwww" in the disembarking scene after Enterprise docked in Yorktown?

Star Trek is too important to me to be spoiled by a few mysoginistic homophobic bastards.

So I watched Beyond all by myself. And to avoid the "hopeless fan who's still wearing the uniform on a Wednesday morning", I settled on Trek-inspired office wear instead.

Which promptly identified myself as a Trekkie to Yassin the Starbucks barista. :)

Beyond is good.

TWOK-level good.

I believe that the reason it worked so well was that because it was meant to be an "episode" of sorts. Into Darkness was trying to mash TMP, TWOK and SFS into a big jumbled mess; but Beyond was just (to quote the writers) a gamma-irradiated episode of classic Trek.

And man, it's friggin' awesome.

Although trying to fit the Franklin into the period between NX Alpha and NX-01 was rather pushing it (for an ENT fan like me), it kinda works out in the end when you consider they crashed on Altamid half a decade after These Are The Voyages.

Can't wait for the new Beyond uniforms; seriously thinking about bleaching my hair and painting black patterns on my face; and adding Franklin to my collection!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emsy! I am a pretty fan of you, and i LOVE all your videos! But, unfornutelly,all them are now private, so could you please turn them public again? Or send me by email some of them? I really love it!

    ReplyDelete